Sophomoronic Musings

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An Ode to Twitter

At first I was skeptical about Twitter, just as I was skeptical about Facebook in the beginning.

140 characters to express your thoughts? You’ve got to be kidding me.

But it works and Twitter is quickly becoming my newest way to connect to the world outside of Columbia, Missouri.

I don’t just use Twitter to update my followers on the random, inconsequential things that happen in my  life (10:06 Aug 18th: "Don't Stop Believing" just came up on my pandora playlist. I love Pandora.), I use it to keep up on the news.

You see, those little Twitter status updates are like leads and teasers for upcoming events and breaking news. I found out the Ted Kennedy and Michael Jackson passed away by Tweets from CNN.com. I also found out that one can watch 60 Minutes online from a Tweet posted by 60 Minutes. I also stay up to date with major happenings from my home state by following several Oregon news sources.

As nerdy as I am (or “intellectual” as my dad puts it), I tweet about great articles that I’ve read, so that my followers will possibly read them and appreciate them as much as I do.

I also follow Taylor Swift and John Mayer, which makes me feel like we are *almost* friends. Twitter is a great marketing tool in this aspect. By following celebrities, you see their updates and feel like they are talking to you. It also gives celebs the chance to beg for your vote (this is aimed at you, @taylorswift13) for awards at various award shows. To be honest, I did vote for you because of Twitter and the fact that your songs are basically the soundtrack of my life. Seriously.

Twitter is a great way to stay connected and get immediate updates on important global events (like Presidential speeches and The Bachelorette finale), as well the occasional #musicmonday or #followfriday post. And just like FB, you can moderate who follows you and who can see your Tweets. Snazzy, huh?

Well, Blogosphere, I’ve got to head to a journalism class to discuss the Twitterverse.

Happy Tweeting!

 

 

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home